Practicing personal leadership is the key to being successful in all areas of your life.
You may be wondering what personal leadership is and how it’s different from other types of leadership. For starters, personal leadership is all about you being a great leader of yourself.
What is personal leadership?
Personal leadership is about you taking responsibility for your choices, needs, wants, actions, behaviors, and beliefs. It starts with owning your life and not blaming anyone else for why your life is the way it is. It’s all about:
- Owning your decisions and actions
- Listening to your body
- Speaking up for yourself
- Being honest with yourself and others
- Doing what you know is right, not just what feels good or comes easy
- Providing supportive self-care
Why is personal leadership important?
It’s the pathway to creating your best life and a better world. When you’re at your best, you can truly show up for others in all areas of your life. Life will never be all sunshine and roses. Sometimes it just plain sucks. However, we learn, grow, and become more resilient when working through life’s trials, tribulations, and challenges. Practicing personal leadership gives you the foundation you need to weather any storm. It builds your trust and confidence in your ability to take care of yourself. It teaches you to have compassion and empathy for yourself. It strengthens your mind, body, and soul.
How do I practice personal leadership?
Through self-love, self-awareness, self-discipline, and having your holistic house in order. Having your holistic house in order includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Proper nutrition to nourish your body and fuel you to function at your best
- Ample sleep (typically 7-8 hours per night) supports immune health, better decision making, and helps you remain calm in stressful situations
- Consistent physical activity helps you relieve stress, boosts energy, and releases feel-good endorphins
- Cultivating meaningful relationships and letting go of toxic people provides you with the strong support structure you need to thrive
- Nurturing your spiritual practice connects you to something greater
- Doing meaningful work helps you feel accomplished and aligned with your greater purpose
- Taking control of your finances by living within your means, dealing with your situation, and investing in your future leads to greater peace of mind and security
- Celebrating who you are and your accomplishments honors your life energy
How do I grow my personal leadership skills?
As with all things, personal leadership takes practice and the approach that will work best for you is unique to you. The good news is there are some practical things you can do to develop your personal leadership skills.
- Connect with your values to get clear on what’s important to you
- Take honest stock of your relationships – strengthen the healthy ones and let go of the ones that no longer serve you
- Define your non-negotiables (people, activities, and things) and prioritize how you spend your energy, time, and money around these
- Create SMART goals in areas of your life you want to transform e.g. career, health, relationships, finances, etc.
- Hold yourself accountable to the change you want to create (finding an accountability partner or trusted advisor can be tremendously helpful)
- Set aside time to just be and see what comes up – listen to it!
Practicing personal leadership can be truly transformative. When you’re at your best, you can lift others up. Imagine what a world that would be!
Want to learn more about how taking care of your whole-self leads to greater health, stronger relationships, and the confidence to live big? I thought so…